Sunday 5 August 2012

Delightfully Un-Apathetic

Jealousy has been a theme that has popped up in my life the last few days.

I am unsure as to why, but because it is a pattern I've noticed I might as well comment about it.

The first occurrence had to do with jealousy in a relationship, a concept I have become very familiar with.

The second occurrence however was much more powerful; it had to do with the jealousy of God.

In church today we were in Exodus, talking about the golden calf and God's jealousy for the far inferior deity made of the earth He created.

I feel like we have all have experienced the burning feeling, like we are in the midst of an inferno and it is slowly roasting us from the inside out.

It is not a pleasant feeling.

And it often causes a lot of problems (particularly with any romantic aspect).

So why is our God jealous?

Especially of something so trifle and negligible in comparison?

It is because God is intimately interested in us.

It is because He has such a passionate love for us that the idea of us worshipping something else drives Him crazy.

It is because He desires and deserves more than just our Sunday mornings.

He craves for us to love Him back and so completely that we become consumed in Him and that nothing else matters.

Because after all, "you can't wrap your arms around God when they are already wrapped in something else. If our arms are occupied the He can't give us all that He wants to" (Ryan Paulson)

I have made Him jealous recently myself and I have had nothing good come from it.

I have not seen the wrath that God swore on the Israelites, but that is because someone lobbied for my freedom.

Someone took that wrath upon Himself and carried it to a cross.

All because He cares enough to get jealous.

He cares enough to get angry and upset.

Which is far better than a god who could care less what we do.

Than a god who is completely apathetic towards his creations.

Than a god who would've let us fall to sin and the consequences thereafter.

Don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise for a 25 year old....I mean. Wow Girl. :)

    ReplyDelete